As a Registered Dietitian for over 30 years, I completed my doctoral degree in nutrition biochemistry, studying vitamin D and bone metabolism. I enjoy understanding the science and molecular mechanisms behind all types of diseases. I completed a pediatric fellowship for children with special health care needs and have formal training in interdisciplinary team treatment of diseases of childhood and adolescence, which is what is used in treating eating disorders. I have many hours of training in treatment of eating disorders from leading eating disorder experts and researchers.
I have been in private practice for over 10 years and have been involved in the eating disorder community for over 15 years. My goal is to bring to the local community the most recent information about eating disorders. To that end, I give presentations, trainings and talks to local health care providers, schools and to the public.
In the world wide eating disorder community, I value sharing what I have learned over the past 15 years. Some of my favorite recent activities include:
- Serving as Director of the Disordered Eating & Eating Disordered subunit of Scan (Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutrition) from July 2012 to June 2015
- Serving as a co-chair of the special interest group on Family Based Treatment for the International Academy for Eating Disorders
- Contributing 3 years of volunteer work as a moderator on the www.FEAST-ED.org forum. Currently a professional adviser to FEAST
- Serving as co-chair and chair of the Special Interest Group on eating disorders for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Serving as a member of the FEAST/AED task force on medical education and as a professional advisor to FEAST-ED.org
- I am currently a member of the International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals and past Credentialing Chair of the Oregon chapter of that association.
- In 2015 I was appointed by the Academy for Eating Disorders to serve as a member of their Medical Care Standards Committee
- Member of the Experts by Experience Committee for the Academy for Eating Disorders
- Member of the iaedp Excellence in Practice Committee
- Obtaining a Health Transformation grant from the Samaritan Health Transformation team in 2016 to train health care providers about eating disorders
I enjoy educating people about eating disorders and to that end I wrote the online care manual chapter on pediatric eating disorders for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and was lead author of the ADA Practice Paper, published online at www.eatright.org Aug 2011. I regularly write articles, book chapters and give talks on eating disorders.